matching invoice payment to existing checking acct entry

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Feb 14 03:22:28 EST 2014

On Wednesday 12 February 2014 13:19:56 Stephen Biggs wrote:
> Is there any way to match a payment to an already existing entry?
> Right now, what I do is cause the payment which then enters in a
> transaction in my checking account which is a duplicate of an already
> entered transaction from my bank records.
>
> What I then do is to copy the information from my bank record
> transaction into the new entry as that one is the one that probably
> has links to all of the other accounts that this transaction may
> touch as paid, and then erase the bank record transaction.
> Cumbersome.
>
> Is there a way to do this already and I just am missing it?

Yes, there is (since 2.6).

But let me first see if I understand your question correctly:
Your situation is that you have an existing transaction in your
checkings account and an unpaid invoice. The existing transaction
actually represents the payment for the invoice, but was entered some
way outside of the business features (manually or imported for example).

Your solution to fix this is to use the business features' "Apply
Payment" for the invoice. This creates a second transaction representing
the payment for the invoice, but it may have some other
description/date/whatever. That information you copy over from the first
transaction. When satisfied you delete the first transaction.

So a number of steps to replace the first transaction with the second
ensuring your payment to be really linked with the invoice.

If that's what you do, there is an alternative solution since gnucash
2.6:
Starting from the situation of an unpaid invoice and an existing
transaction representing the payment you can now
- open you checking account
- right-click on the relevant transaction
- from the pop-up menu choose "Assign As Payment..."
- this will open the business "Apply Payment" window with some
information pre-filled
- just complete the information (choose proper customer/invoice) and hit
ok.

Your original transaction should now be processed as a payment for the
invoice(s) you have selected.

Geert