Balance sheet still not balancing with Trading accounts activated

pete.dickson at gmail.com pete.dickson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:28:42 EST 2014

Hi all,

Looking for some general advice and pointers on where I should start
looking to track down the source(s) of my balance sheet imbalance. I'm a
new gc user (2.6.1 on Windows). A few weeks ago imported about 20 years
worth of Quicken data. So far, so good (I thought).

Starting to look at the financial statement in gc, I see that the balance
sheet is out-of-balance by a couple of thousand dollars. I have
double-checked that all accounts are selected in the default balance sheet.

In a copy of my file, I tried activating trading accounts then doing a
Repair All to add all the Trading account splits. But the balance sheet
still is not in balance after doing that.

Other details:

   - Default currency is CAD.
   - Couple of accounts in USD.
   - Lots of txns to Imbalance-CAD still to cleanup (but those are really
   just uncategorized, but still technically balanced, yes?)

Things I'm thinking to try:

   - Can I presume the entire difference is due to currency exchange
   issues?
      - Idea 1: Go through all USD txns and set exchange rate to 1 to try
      to determine if the imbalance is all due to currency issues? --
Is there a
      way to mass update all exchange rates used in txns? It looks to me like
      purging the Price Editor would not do what I want.
      - Idea 2: Try to purge all record of USD accts and txns to see if
      things now balance.
      - Idea 3: No further ideas

Obviously these would just be to try to narrow down the source cause.

Any tips/tricks/advice? Are there common causes of balance sheet imbalances
unrelated to foreign currency? Any further key info I can provide, let me
know.

Thanks,

Pete