Incompatibilities between 2.4 and 2.6?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 20:52:56 EST 2014

My desktop machine is running Ubuntu 13.10, and has GnuCash 2.4 installed
although 2.6 is available via the getdeb repository.

My laptop machine is running Debian Jessie/testing, and has GnuCash 2.6
installed. Before I installed Debian, I was running Ubuntu and had 2.4
installed.

I use Dropbox to hold my GnuCash data files (and auto backups and logs,
which I should clean out sometime). I have not had a problem working with
my data between multiple installations of 2.4 (including some on Windows
machines) via Dropbox. No problems I could not attribute accurately to my
own stupidity.

Are there any incompatibilities between 2.4 and 2.6 I should be aware of if
I were to try to work on the same data files on both my desktop and my
laptop? I know the business features have been enhanced (credit notes and
the like, for one), but is it done in an incompatible way? If i ignore
credit notes for now, and stick to invoices and bills, can I edit the file
using 2.6, then edit it more using 2.4, or will I be risking data loss and
other horrid stuff?

One of my colleagues wants to receive read-only copies of the books, and he
is running Mint Linux 15 (based on Ubuntu 13.04) so only 2.4 is available
to him. If I start using 2.6 exclusively, will he be locked out of using
2.4 to examine the books?