GnuCash plugin system

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 17 06:45:45 EST 2014

Hi,

During the recent discussion on the possibility of a Payroll (and or
Inventory) system interfacing with GnuCash

Geert mentioned that there is already in existence a plugin system for
GnuCash. Is this documented and if so could someone pleas point to the
documentation. If it is undocumented is there a specific entry point in the
code or is the plugin interface  spread throughout the code.  If someone
could give me some pointers re where to look I would be grateful.

  I am possibly interested in development of a Payroll program (for
Australia but hopefully general enough to be adaptable for other countries)
and if there is a usable interface it would make the task easier. I like the
idea of using an OFX ( or other suitable format) and keeping a Payroll
program separate and simply importing an output file into GnuCash

As Derek pointed out each country has its own taxation system (and
superannuation rules etc.) so developing a program that is not country
specific is difficult and the other major difficulty is that most
jurisdictions fiddle incessantly with their tax systems ( and Industrial
Relations )so there is the need for constant up dating which requires a lot
of familiarity with the Tax legislation ( and makes MYOB and Quick Books
amongst others a lot of money for updates which are primarily changes of a
few values in a couple of tables.)  We are fortunate in Australia that our
income  tax system is at the federal level and most regulation of financial
institutions is also federal and our government website documents the system
fairly well.

David Cousens