account tree export/import

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 22:42:04 EST 2014

Elwood,

I’m not sure I follow you exactly. What do you mean “do manually in the csv”? If you are referring to the GnuCash data file, I have never needed to edit my data file directly. If you are referring to the Quicken data, are you unable to use the QIF export? I always found that QIF works  well for import, better than csv.

Also, it seems to me that it is quite easy to manipulate the Chart of Accounts directly in GnuCash.

It is simple, for example, to realign an account in the hierarchy by using Edit->Account and changing the parent account.

Similarly, if your sense of rightness cringes at the existence of a particular account (that may have made sense in Quicken), it is perhaps a little less obvious (but still pretty simple) to delete the offending account and have the transactions moved to another account.

Or is there something else that you’re trying to accomplish?

David