Quotes

Mike Roberts mike at roberts-engineering.com
Sat Feb 22 15:11:26 EST 2014

This looks like a likely solution to me, so I will try it first, along with
lots of details to help me later and anyone else who is interested.

Uninstall Program list shows only ActivePerl 5.16.3.  That's not surprising
since I already uninstalled 5.10.  Uninstalling ... done!

Uninstall left behind 389 folders and 3,777 files in the Perl sub-directory
for a total of 55 MB.  All of the files I saw were .html.  Deleting Perl
directory and all sub directories ... lots of confirms, then Vista would not
let me delete Perl, the subdirectories, and files from my admin user.  I
deleted a couple of major subdirectories and then I could delete the Perl
directory.  Maybe a Recycle Bin limit?  Anyway, Perl is gone.

Another Vista discovery:  If you type command prompt into Start Search, you
get a command window.  From there regedit brings up the Registry Editor.  I
had no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ActiveState/ActivePerl.  I deleted
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ActiveState/PerlScript.  I had no
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall/Activ
ePerl.  Since none of these referred to Perl510.dll, I searched the registry
for Perl510.  The search came up empty.

I reinstalled ActivePerl 5.16.3 build 1603.  Perl directory now reports 118
MB, 5904 files, 1129 folders.

Next I typed ppm install Finance-Quote in a Command Prompt.  It says it
downloaded and installed Finance-Quote 1.18 which is not what I think I
want.

I next tried cpan install Finance::Quote in the Command Prompt.  I didn't
have a C complier so it complained about that and apparently installed one,
then installed Finance-Quote 1.20.  I don't seem to have the perl script
gnc-fq-check so that did not work to verify FQ version.

Starting GnuCash ... Price Editor ... Get Quotes is grayed out.  Depressing
... trying cold boot ... Get Quotes is still grayed out.

Trying GC Install Online Price Retrieval ... starting GnuCash ... Get Quotes
not grayed out ... IT WORKED!!!!   PARTY TIME!  I have quotes again.

I did find Start/All Programs/Active Perl .../Perl Package Manager shows
Finance-Quote as version 1.20.

Thanks to everyone!  Chris, could you send a copy of the gnc-fq-check
script?  I think it should have a .bat extension.  That would be nice to
have.

Thanks again!
Mike