Another Advanced Portfoio update

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Feb 23 01:02:13 EST 2014

I've added comments below.  They are a bit brief, but maybe they will
help some.

--On February 23, 2014 11:19:35 AM +1100 Chris Good
<chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> If you could perhaps add some details, (or correct) what I've put
> together below, I'll try to update the documentation.
>
> Account:        Stock Account
> Symbol: Ticker Symbol/Abbreviation as defined in the Security Editor.
> There is a report option to suppress this column.
> Listing:                Type as defined in the Security Editor. There
> is a report option to suppress this column.
> Shares:         Number of shares (quantity). There is a report option
> to set how many decimal places to show.
>                 There is a report option to suppress this column.
> Price:          Unit market price as at report date. There is a report
> option to suppress this column.
> Basis:          Cost of shares purchased + cost of shares acquired as
> part of a Dividend Re-Investment Plan (DRP).

Cost of all shares acquired by any means, including brokerage fees if
the option to include them is selected.

>                 Report option 'Basis calculation method' can be set to
> Average, LIFO or FIFO.
> Value:          Number of shares * Unit market price as at report date

There is an option to select whether price is af of the report date or
the latest price

> Money In:
>         Sum of  the cost of stock purchased, excluding stock acquired
> as part of a DRP.

Yes, external money used to purchase shares.

> Money Out:              ???

Money from selling shares or a spin off transaction.

> Realized Gain:          ???

Money received for selling shares minus basis for shares sold, minus
brokerage fees for the sale if option to include them in basis is
selected.

> Unrealized Gain:        Value less Basis for unsold shares
> Total Gain:             Realized Gain + Unrealized Gain
> Rate of Gain:           Total Gain / Money In * 100 (From GnuCash
> 2.6.1 onwards)
> Income:         Total of all income transactions associated with a
> stock account.
>                         To include income from dividends which are not
> reinvested,
>                         ensure there is a dummy transaction split to
> the stock account with quantity 0 value 0 in the dividend
>                         transaction.
>                         You can just enter the dummy stock split with
> no values in the Dividend account and it will
>                         create the transaction with price 1 even
> though you cannot see the Price column in that
>                         register.
> Brokerage Fees: Brokerage Fees if not included in Basis

They are included in this column even if they are also in the basis.

> Total Return:           Total Gain + Income
> Rate of Return:         Total Return / Money In * 100
>
> What does option 'Set preference for price list data' do?

It tells the report to use price list data (if selected, which is the
default) or to get prices from stock transactions (if not selected).
If there is no relevant price list data it will use transaction prices
and wanr you

> General question:
> Should documentation refer to Shares or Stocks or Securities? I guess
> Shares as that sort of includes Funds?

Good question.  Shares may be best, but I don't really know either.

> I seem to remember this mentioned somewhere, but is it possible for
> the headings for numeric fields to be right aligned to make the
> report easier to read?

I don't know.  This is a general question for all reports.  There is
nothing special about this report in that regard.

               Mike