Another Advanced Portfoio update

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Feb 22 19:19:35 EST 2014

Hi Mike,

I've tested your latest 2.6.1 Advanced Portfolio Report from
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/src/report/standard-reports/a
dvanced-portfolio.scm
and it is perfect for me now.
Money In now correctly excludes credits from the residual account.

It even correctly excludes from 'Money In' income from Income:Other:DRP
Rounding which is where I account for re-invested dividends where the no of
shares allocated is rounded UP to an integer, so that the value of the DRP
is actually greater than the dividend. It's very nice of the company to give
us this freebee but it is difficult to account for. I'm not sure if, for
tax, I should declare the dividend value as the value of the dividend or the
value of the reinvested shares. In Australia, when we do our personal taxes
online, for Australian stocks, you actually download from the tax office
what they know is the dividend value. So far, the difference between the
dividend value and the value of the reinvested shares hasn't been more than
$1, so I don't know which value the tax office thinks I should declare.

Thank you very much! This report is now really useful.

I include brokerage in my cost basis and haven't sold any shares since I've
been using GnuCash, so could maybe some other people could test this report
in regards to the columns Money Out, Realized Gain & Brokerage Fees?

This is such an important report I think it is well worthwhile documenting
what the columns contain.
AFAIK, there is no documentation about this yet. Refer GnuCash Help Manual,
9.2. Assets & Liabilities which just lists this report but gives no details.

If you could perhaps add some details, (or correct) what I've put together
below, I'll try to update the documentation.

Account:	Stock Account
Symbol:	Ticker Symbol/Abbreviation as defined in the Security Editor. There
is a report option to suppress this column.
Listing:		Type as defined in the Security Editor. There is a
report option to suppress this column.
Shares:		Number of shares (quantity). There is a report option to set
how many decimal places to show.
		There is a report option to suppress this column.
Price:		Unit market price as at report date. There is a report
option to suppress this column.
Basis:		Cost of shares purchased + cost of shares acquired as part
of a Dividend Re-Investment Plan (DRP).
		Report option 'Basis calculation method' can be set to
Average, LIFO or FIFO.
Value:		Number of shares * Unit market price as at report date
Money In:
	Sum of 	the cost of stock purchased, excluding stock acquired as
part of a DRP.
Money Out:		???
Realized Gain:		???
Unrealized Gain:	Value less Basis for unsold shares
Total Gain:		Realized Gain + Unrealized Gain
Rate of Gain:		Total Gain / Money In * 100 (From GnuCash 2.6.1
onwards)
Income:		Total of all income transactions associated with a stock
account.
			To include income from dividends which are not
reinvested,
			ensure there is a dummy transaction split to the
stock account with quantity 0 value 0 in the dividend
			transaction.
			You can just enter the dummy stock split with no
values in the Dividend account and it will
			create the transaction with price 1 even though you
cannot see the Price column in that
			register.
Brokerage Fees:	Brokerage Fees if not included in Basis
Total Return:		Total Gain + Income
Rate of Return:		Total Return / Money In * 100

What does option 'Set preference for price list data' do?

General question:
Should documentation refer to Shares or Stocks or Securities? I guess Shares
as that sort of includes Funds?

I seem to remember this mentioned somewhere, but is it possible for the
headings for numeric fields to be right aligned to make the report easier to
read?

Regards, Chris Good