Another Advanced Portfoio update

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Feb 18 02:05:06 EST 2014

--On February 17, 2014 6:20:03 PM +0000 Richard Ullger
<rullger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Things are looking good but I have the following observations.
>
> - The money out and realised gain columns are not including income
> that has not been reinvested.

Right, money out and realized gain only include sales or other
disposals.  They don't include any income.  All income, reinvested or
otherwise, should be include in Total Return.  This is intentional.

> - The basis and money in columns are not including charges from a
> sale.

You mean brokerage fees?  If you say to include them in the basis, they
are reflected in the realized gain from the sale.  You can think of
them as going into the basis for the stock sold and then immediately
coming back out since that portion of the basis is being wiped out.
It's possible that this doesn't work right with the average basis
method, but I think it does.  I'm pretty sure it works with FIFO or
LIFO basis.

Money out from the sale includes the entire proceeds including anything
used to pay brokerage fees.  This is an arbitrary decision.  It doesn't
really affect anything else, since money out is included in the report
but not used to calculate anything else.  In particular it doesn't
affect the realized gain.

> - Where a stock has zero holding and you run the report with the
> setting 'Include accounts with no shares' selected, the money in
> column is reporting the basis (without the sale charges as stated
> above). That is, the initial investment plus the reinvestment. Total
> return is correct but the rate of return is incorrect.

I don't see this and can't quite understand the situation you're
talking about.  Can you give me an example?  I looked at the report for
a stock which I had disposed of completely and it seems ok.  Is that
the situation causing the problem?  If a stock has zero holding, then
the basis is necessarily zero, as is the value.

           Mike