Given no built-in tools for forecasting (e.g. savings), what ad-hoc methods should I use?

GiovanniAD giovanni.dimatteo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:39:05 EST 2014

After searching the forums a bit, it seems that GNUCash has no built-in tools
for forecasting expected savings based on income, expected expenses, and
spending history. I have seen that some people say they use LibreOffice calc
to do this sort of thing.

I want to be able to forecast how much I will likely save over 3 years,
given my spending habits, salary, expected taxes, etc. In particular, I
would like to be able to set a target savings amount of say 50,000, and use
this to figure out how much should be saving month to month. Note that this
isn't as easy as dividing 50,000 by the number of months in 3 years, as one
sometimes saves more than necessary and sometimes less than necessary.

I would be interested to hear about how anyone else does these things. For
example, could I export data to LibreOffice calc and run my analysis over
there? What's the best way to go about doing this sort of thing?