Crashing

Adam Spacey adam.spacey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 23:58:04 EST 2014

I did the same as you Robin - upgraded to 2.6 and then reverted to 2.4.14
having found 2.6 to be a bit sluggish (on start up) and of somewhat
unfamiliar appearance. I'm also running windows 7, but have absolutely no
issues with 2.4.14 (or 2.4.13 prior to that) crashing.
Not sure if this helps much - John's message hopefully will - just
reassurance that GnuCash should run as clean as a whistle on your system!

Regards,
Adam Spacey

On 25 February 2014 01:50, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Robin Chattopadhyay <robinraymn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi-
> >
> > I've started experiencing more crashes with Gnucash than I've ever
> > experienced before and I'm at a loss for what to do.
> >
> > I'm running WIN7, I was using 2.4.11 then upgraded to 2.6.0. I didn't
> like
> > how slow it was running on my PC, so I reverted to 2.4.13.
> >
> > It seems like this was when I started experiencing the crashes. I've
> since
> > upgrade to 2.4.15 (r23684) but that doesn't seem to have solved my
> problem.
> >
> > Here are the "interesting" lines from the Tracefile:
> >
> > * 18:12:57  WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 1797 bytes.
> > The identifiers might not be very random.
> > * 18:16:00  CRIT <gnc.engine> xaccAccountGetType: assertion
> > `GNC_IS_ACCOUNT(acc)' failed
> > * 18:16:31  CRIT <gnc.gui> gnc_tree_model_account_get_path_from_account:
> > assertion `account != ((void *)0)' failed
> > * 18:18:03  WARN <Gdk> gdkgc-win32.c:830: SaveDC failed: Not enough
> storage
> > is available to process this command.
> > * 18:18:03  WARN <Gdk> gdkgc-win32.c:970: RestoreDC failed: The parameter
> > is incorrect.
> >
> > I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm using the SQLite backend.
>
> Without knowing what's actually crashing, it's hard to say whether the SQL
> backend is to blame. That message about "Not enough storage" suggests that
> you might be running out of disk space. Having it raise an assertion about
> a bad account pointer might also be related, and depending on what's
> happening at the time of the crash might indicate a corrupted database.
>
> You can get more detail in the trace file if you add " --debug" to the
> shortcut target or start GnuCash from a command prompt with the --debug
> option. That might or might not shed some more light on what exactly
> failed. If the crash is happening during database load or a save, use --log
> gnc.backend.sql=debug, which will add the SQL statements being run to the
> trace file.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

*Adam Spacey*