Sharing a Data File WAS:Re: How do I remove an entry from the aging receivables report

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 26 10:10:43 EST 2014

Hi,

Feidhlim Harty <reeds at wetlandsystems.ie> writes:

> Thanks David,
>
> When does a .gnucash file get created? The .log files seem to be lots of
> individual ongoing backup files - but saving as .gnucash seems a bit
> arbitrary to me - I'm sure I'm missing something. I've used Gnucash over
> the past few days, but on my mac finder menu  there are no .gnucash files
> showing up for the 2014 accounts I'm using at present; some for the 2013
> accounts; and lots for the 2012 accounts.
>
> If I view this list of files from within the GnuCash file menu (using File;
> Open) then I see more .gnucash files than in the finder menu; actually,
> just as many as in my 2012 list in the Finder menu... C'est mysterie...
>
> I've been having difficulty just getting the files to the accountant for
> some reason - sorted now, but I'm curious to know where I'm going wrong.

It should be created every time you save the file (click "save").  Note
that is only true if you're using the XML backend.  If you're using SQL
then the answer is "never".