Cash Flow Report Problem

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Fri Feb 28 08:21:57 EST 2014

Thanks Carsten,

I've read through the two bugs and must admit that I disagree with the
results. In effect, there is an arbitrary determination in my case to
"add together" my income and expense and whichever is greater, put the
total in that category. I think the problem with the original poster is
that his transactions should have been split into two if he wants to
treat them as distinct flows. This generally happens when the split
transaction includes multiple Asset or Liability accounts rather than
just multiple Income/Expense accounts. I think his choice of reporting
is in error.

But it is what it is....

What it did force me to do is to look around some more. I have been
using gnuCash for a very long time for some small non-profit groups that
I am treasurer of since it works well across multiple platforms (I'm a
Linux guy, but most of the other volunteers aren't). When I started
using gnuCash the Cash Flow report was our "fix" for a broken (or maybe
it was non-existent) P&L statement for those of us that do Cash-based
accounting rather than Accrual.

What I have just done is take a look at the built-in P&L report in 2.6
and it produces the expected values for me. So, I am now methodically
deleting all my "saved" Cash Flow tabs and replacing them with Profit &
Loss tabs. So I do have a good working solution going forward.

Thanks!

--Rob