FYI: GnuCash QIF importer Python helper script (my use case: GnuCash Android app)

henning at jacobs1.de henning at jacobs1.de
Thu Jan 2 14:31:07 EST 2014

Hi GnuCash fans,

I'm using the GnuCash Mobile Android App to track my expenses and I was
a bit disappointed with the QIF/OFX import (going to the GnuCash GUI and
having to click multiple times). So I wrote a tiny Python helper script
to automate QIF->GnuCash import (using the GnuCash Python Bindings). You
can find it on Github:

https://github.com/hjacobs/gnucash-qif-import

Usage is simple:

   sudo apt-get install gnucash python-gnucash
   ./import.py -v -f examples/accounts.gnucash examples/expenses.qif

I hope someone finds it useful. I just hacked it today -- please report
bugs/problems..

My idea is to use the "Save on SD card" feature of GnuCash Mobile app
and automatically import the QIF exports when connecting my smartphone
via USB. Automated QIF saves by the GnuCash Mobile app would be a cool
new feature.

BTW: I tested GnuCash 2.6 (from source on Ubuntu 13.10) today and the
JS reports look good :-)

- Henning