Investment Portfolio Question: Capital Raising/SPP

PeterO petero at fotodomain.com
Fri Jan 3 07:09:37 EST 2014

Have an accounting question for the experts.

Company X decided to raise capital through a share offer. It goes as
follows:

1. I send $1000 to them on day 1
2. They allocate number of shares totalling say $500, this happens a week
later
3. Another week later I get a refund of $500

Bank statement shows two transactions one out, one in, plus trading
settlement that refers to $500. While the books balance, I am not sure how
to treat the two transfers.

Cheers,
Peter