Loan repayments

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Sun Jan 12 04:43:32 EST 2014

Hi,

In addition to doing my business finance with GnuCash, I recently
started to track my personal finances using a separate accounting file
in GnuCash too.

One of the things I added is my student loan. There is this fancy loan
repayment calculator that I'd like to use, but I can't seem to make it
fit the system that the organization supplying the student loans uses.

Basically, they supply me with an amount they calculated in some way
that should repay my loan after 15 years. If, for some reason, the loan
is not repaid after 15 years, the remainder is waived.

However, when I enter the correct interest percentage and the lifespan
of 15 years, GnuCash ends up with a slightly higher repayment than that
the loan organization did. I suspect that this has something to do with
how the interest over the loan is calculated (per day/month/year). An
additional complication is that the interest is fixed for 4 year
periods, and the current percentage is valid until december 2016. What
it will be next is currently unknown.

Another odd thing is that if I enter 15 years, GnuCash states that there
are 179 payments remaining, while the correct amount would be 180 (15 *
12). And if I manually enter 180 months, it still doesn't compute since
the last repayment according to GnuCash would be October 2028 while it
should be December 2028.

The repayment amount seems to be calculated by a function / formula
called 'pmt'. However, I cannot change this formale. Every change I make
seems to be ignored if I go to the next screen. I also tried to complete
replace this formula with the fixed repayment the loan organization
calculated, but this is also ignored in the next screen.

The reason I'd like to use the loan repayment schedule because it
automatically calculates the expenses on interest and the decrease of
the liability.

Is there any way in which you can change the repayment? Or a way to
change the way the interest percentage is applied to repayments etc? Or
is in non-standard situations like this my only option to enter the
repayments manually?

Thanks,

Egbert