Loan repayments

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 12 21:31:05 EST 2014

On 12/01/2014 20:43, Egbert van der Wal wrote:
>  An additional complication is that the interest is fixed for 4 year
> periods, and the current percentage is valid until december 2016. What
> it will be next is currently unknown.
My home loan is like that (except that it has no initial fixed interest
period). I've had four interest rate changes since the loan started
about 18 months ago. Gnucash's loan calculator, with its fixed
payment/fixed period/fixed interest rate model can't handle that. It
also can't handle things like the fact that the loan allows me to make
advance payments, and to also draw down amounts I've paid in advance.

Gnucash's loan calculator model just can't manage those sorts of
complication.

I simply treat the monthly interest on the loan as a loan expense (the
bank debits the interest amount from the loan account each month). I
could do a rough estimate of whether the bank has charged the correct
interest amount, but I haven't so far.

For all those reasons it's not possible to calculate exactly when I will
have paid out the loan, though I do keep a spreadsheet estimate of how
much I have paid in advance and what future advance payments I can make.

Peter