Unsure how to keep track of missing payments

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jan 13 12:12:39 EST 2014

My Mom is at home with hospice and I am managing her financial affairs
using gnucash. She has 24/7 caregivers, who I pay weekly with a check and
record the amounts as an expense. The company which provides the caregivers
sends a weekly report to my Mom's long term insurance company, and
I occasionally receive a check from the insurance company. Up to now, I
have been recording the check as income.

I also keep a spreadsheet on the side, where I keep track of the weeks each
check is paying for. There have been a few instances in the past year where
the insurance company did not pay for a day or week here and there, and the
spreadsheet clearly shows when these events occur. In the spreadsheet, each
row corresponds to a week of care, so when a check arrives, I tick off that
week as being paid. I also note how many weeks we have "billed", so I know
how far in arrears the insurance company payments are running. I call the
insurance company to remind them they missed a couple of payments here and
there...;) and eventually I get a check.

I was wondering if there is a way to dump my spreadsheet and do everything
in gnucash. It would need to clearly show me that the insurance company
missed one or more payments or made a partial payment, as well as what
dates correspond to the missing payments.

Thanks for your suggestions, and for wading through this missive!

Mark