Importing payroll information

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 17 11:54:52 EST 2014

"R. Victor Klassen" <rvklassen at gmail.com> writes:

> Well, because I wrote the code to generate the payroll records, I have
> the memo fields for the splits contain descriptions that correspond to
> the various deductions, so that I don’t need to generate a separate
> pay stub, but can use the one that my custom cheque format for gnu
> cash generates.  It would be nice to get rid of the blank line, and
> had I more time to spend on it I might actually figure out how to
> modify the GNUcash code to do so - possibly by extending QIF so that
> nothing changes unless a magic new entry appeared in the QIF.  Having
> perused the code some, in an effort to figure out what it wanted as
> input, I don’t feel I have the time to figure it out just now.

I think it would be reasonable to add an extention to do this.  We could
create a new QIF Transaction field that would allow you to set the Split
Memo of the default split.  We would just need to choose a field
character that isn't used elsewhere.

> GNUCash doesn’t handle payroll.  And what I’ve done is only enough to
> handle the easy cases in my jurisdiction.  It works for us, since we
> hire mostly students and pay little more than minimum wage.  So I only
> need to handle one tax bracket (I do check to make sure that is always
> sufficient).  The complexity of handling all possible jurisdictions is
> daunting.  Over the course of the year I expect to refine it so as to
> be able to generate the reports I need.

Are you willing to share the script(s) and check format(s) that you've
designed?

> At this point I consider the matter closed, but will entertain
> questions, if there are those who wish to learn more about what I’ve
> learned along the way.

That would be great.  Thanks!