Importing payroll information

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 13:55:49 EST 2014

On Jan 17, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I think it would be reasonable to add an extention to do this.  We could
> create a new QIF Transaction field that would allow you to set the Split
> Memo of the default split.  We would just need to choose a field
> character that isn't used elsewhere.

Shouldn’t be hard.

> Are you willing to share the script(s) and check format(s) that you’ve designed?

Check format, yes.  It’s not on this (development) machine - but I should actually change that anyhow.

As for scripts, I’d rather go through a pay cycle or two in order to find out what I don’t have right.  Last year I did it all with a spreadsheet, so I have a reasonably idea of the requirements.  But as it’s only been one cycle, and I had to tweak the results this time, I’d rather give it another cycle or two.   I could provide a sample QIF [the names of employees in the samples I’ve been working with are fake anyhow].

And of course there is the proviso that it only works for one type of business (agriculture) in Ontario, Canada [yes we have different rules than other small businesses], and would need modification for any other type of business or jurisdiction.  But there is an outline from which to work.