internal link between invoice and payment lots

David Beattie dvdbeattie at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 20:03:25 EST 2014

Edward,

I had the same complaint/observation and I wrote a lengthy message about it a few days ago.  The developer who implemented the upgrades to the business features and chose the implementation responded to me (and the rest of the list) and we exchanged some additional informative discussion on the matter.  You may see the messages we wrote back and forth here:

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-January/thread.html
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-January/052226.html

In summary, I agree with you and I have proposed various ways to simplify the user experience, including but not limited to, hiding the "lot link" transactions that we're seeing now (after some needed bug fixes), OR changing the implementation in such a way that they are not necessary.  But for now, we know that the developer, Geert Janssens deliberately chose this as his new implementation in order to add two big features (credit notes and explicit assignment of payments to invoices), that are new and improved in GnuCash 2.6, which were missing from GnuCash 2.4.  Unfortunately, the new rows are necessary in this new version in order to link payments with invoices, and they can't be deleted or hidden, unless you go back to 2.4, or your invoices will no longer show as paid.

Geert already said he plans to review the ideas I've presented when he has some time; in the mean time, I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone in finding the way it is to be non-optimal and that I'm also hoping for some improvement in one direction or another.  And for now, knowing that there's only one developer working on this, and volunteering his time and efforts, we have to be patient and use it the way it is, unless we want to go back to 2.4 and lose the new features.  I will probably stick with 2.6 myself.  I'm thankful the new features are at least functional and stable, even if they are messy and harder than they should be to use.  If you have anything to add to the discussion, I'm sure it will be helpful.

Best regards,

David Beattie