2.6: Changing accounting period does nothing.

Fast Radio fastradio at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 12:51:43 EST 2014

I have been reading the multitude of problems experienced in updating GNU Cash to 2.6

I suggest making a simple test.
Make a copy of your GC file under a different name.
Use it to "test" the latest revision. If it is a problem, don't use the latest release..

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:15 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

Graham P Davis wrote:

>I've bypassed the problem by changing the period within the report I
>was producing. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

There is a fair chance of misunderstanding.

What were you expecting to happen? I am bothered when you say you
"bypassed" the problem by changing the period within the report you were
producing. Were you expecting some global date setting to control the
dates used by some specific running of a report? Almost all gnucash
reports can be run for specific dates irrespective of the real time and
date when the report is run (as opposed to for when it is being run).

In other words, what were you trying to do? (as opposed to how you were
trying to do it).

For example ---- I recently did the 2013 year end reports used to
prepare our 2013 financial statement for the board meeting Saturday. Now
the reports were actually run in January after the bank statement could
be reconciled, interest credited, etc. So at that point in real time
gnucash has Jan 1, 2014 for the start of the year. Like duh, I use
options to set the begin date of the report to Jan 1,2013 and the end
date to Dec 31, 2013 and that is where you do this, not by changing
global dates.

Michael