Advanced Portfolio Report

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Jan 27 21:13:47 EST 2014

Thanks for the report. See comments below.

--On January 28, 2014 12:33:09 AM +0000 Richard Ullger
<rullger at gmail.com> wrote:

> In previous versions of the report, brokerage was not taken into
> account in the Realised Gain column. The 'Ignore brokerage fees when
> calculating returns' setting determines whether the brokerage column
> is displayed and the figure taken into account in the Total Return
> column.

Let's see if I understand this correctly.  You would like brokerage
fees to be always excluded from realized gains, but included in total
return if the ignore option is not selected, is that right?  I wasn't
aware that I had changed this, but perhaps I did accidentally.

The ignore option removes them from both realized gains and (hence)
from total return.  I think changing it the way you suggest would annoy
US users since US tax law says that brokerage fees are added to your
basis when calculating gain.  I guess I could add a new option to
control this, but the report is complicated already.

> If income of say 374.92 is entered in the stock account with one blank
> split line tying the income to the stock account, that income is
> correctly recorded on the report. For example,
>
> Acc		Tot Buy		Tot Sell
> Stock Account					(Blank split)
> Income			374.92
> Cash		374.92
>
> If the income is entered as a split of a dividend reinvestment where
> you have a stock purchase, the income recorded on the report is the
> consideration of 366.95 instead of the actual income of 374.92. For
> example,
>
> Acc		Tot Buy		Tot Sell
> Stock Account	366.95
> Commission	3.66
> Stamp Duty	1.83
> Cash				372.44
> Income			374.92
> Cash		374.92
>
> The reason I have been recording income as a split of the reinvestment
> is because when I first started using the report some years ago, this
> was the only way that income would be included on the report.

There is a bug in the way reinvested dividends are handled.  Someone
else gave me a test file that demonstrates it and I'll try to fix it in
the next day or two.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand that last transaction.
What are the two cash splits for?  Are they in the same account?  I
would have expected the stock buy to be for 369.43 (374.92-1.83-3.66).
Somehow 2.48 disappeared into the cash account.  The changes I was
planning to make would show this as 366,95 reinvested dividends and
2.48 other income.  Is this what you want?

         Mike