invoice date vs bank transaction date

stephenharris contact at stephenharris.info
Thu Jan 30 08:41:49 EST 2014

I'm new to this myself, but this is what I do:

I have an 'Accounts Receivable' in my assets account. Invoices are created
through GNUCash, and posted to the account (on the invoice date) to this A/R
account. Correspondingly my assets immediately reflect the invoice amount,
but my actual bank account remains the same. Also, generating a profit and
loss report will include the invoice as income (regardless of whether it has
been paid).

When payment is made I simply transfer the amount from the A/R account to my
bank account. This way my books always agree with bank's, but I can also
easily produce a report for use in a tax report.

If you've been invoicing outside of GNUCash I'm afraid I don't know of
(quick and easy) way of importing a bank statement, while ensuring income is
calculated on invoices rather than transactions. I'm not event sure if
GNUCash allows you to import a bank statement, and correspond a transaction
with a particular invoice.

Stephen