Implementing COGS with multicurrency

Alun Champion alun at achampion.net
Fri Jan 31 08:42:18 EST 2014

You should check with a tax professional when you should count the
asset in your home currency but here's how it could work. If you
receive and sale at the same time then the first 2 transactions could
collapse to one and you wouldn't need the Tickets account.

Receive tickets for resale (immediately book in home currency):
Liabilities: A/P: (EURO 100)
Assets: Inventory: Tickets: $130
Trading: EUR: EURO 100
Trading: USD: ($130)

Sell ticket - direct payment (alternatively use a A/R account to
separate customer sale and payment)
Assets: Account: $140
Income: Sales: ($130)
Income: Fee: ($10)