Data file too large

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Jul 6 03:33:42 EDT 2014

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 07:55:06 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 July 2014 06:15, Bill Pfeifer <billpfeifer at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been using gnucash for over 15 years, and it's just taking way
> > too long to load the data  on startup.
>
> How long is it taking (whilst the splash screen is actually saying
> the data file?  Are you using xml format (or mysql or postgres) and is
> the data file compressed?  Also what operating system are you using
> and which version of gnucash and is your PC reasonably up to date with
> a reasonable amount of RAM?
>
> For reference my data file is 1.5MB of compressed xml running 2.6.3 on
> a couple of years old laptop running Ubuntu and it takes about 7
> seconds to load the data.
>
> Colin

Another thing to consider is that the latest versions are doing a check
on the data after loading it, and before you get to see it, so while
you stare at the splash screen an additional job is being done.

If you wish to make your data file smaller, then you need to "close
your books" and start a new file at a suitable date.
I'm no expert on this process.

29sec to open 1.5MB compressed file on a machine I bought about 7 years
ago, and added a SSDrive to for a speed thrill.

Liz