Data file too large

G. Paul Ziemba pz-gnucash-user at ziemba.us
Sun Jul 6 22:58:11 EDT 2014

I believe I built my machine in 2009, but the hard drive is newer.

    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400  @ 2.66GHz
    Memory: 8G
    Hard drive: WDC WD4003FZEX ATA-9 SATA 3.x 300 MB/s transfers

    OS: FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE
    gnucash-2.4.13

    My Accounts file is 2035090 bytes (2GB) compressed,
    27025990 (27GB) bytes uncompressed

    Gnucash load time for compressed file: 9 seconds

Maybe the OP can improve loading speed by looking at i/o issues,
specifically the data drive transfer speed (SATA vs. PATA, drive
RPM, SATA version, etc.) It's not a silver bullet, but might
improve loading speed enough to make the current gnucash architecture
bearable with large data files.

Another possible workaround is to start gnucash once and leave
it running (that's what I do).

--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: