Data file too large

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jul 8 04:47:38 EDT 2014

On Jul 8, 2014, at 9:29 AM, Xavier Lagraula <detunizedgravity at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to your answer I now know why GnuCash 2.6.3 starts more slowly on my
> Core i5 / 4Gio RAM / Win7 desktop than GnuCash 2.4.x on my Celeron / 2Gio
> RAM / Crushbang Linux netbook. Quite impressive. This is a very low
> priority question, because it is only asked out of curiosity, but why are
> those checks so much slower on Windows?

Because Windows uses a different date/time API from Unix and GnuCash before 2.6 didn't implement that API correctly, which led to a number of bugs. In addition to fixing the bugs going forward we have to inspect the data on load in case there are munged dates from the old bugs, and because some people use both 2.6 and 2.4 we have to do it every time.

Regards,
John Ralls