Three gnucash crash + log file questions

incoming-gnucash at sabot.com incoming-gnucash at sabot.com
Wed Jul 9 11:21:25 EDT 2014

I was using gnucash 2.6.3 on my ubuntu precise system today and
did something that caused a core dump, and noticed some odd things in
the aftermath.  First some background description, then my questions:

I have two .gnucash files, call them FIRST and SECOND.  I was working
with FIRST of them and had added a few transactions.  I did save, then
File/Open and typed the prefix of the second file.  I think I saw that
it had auto-completed to the correct name and quickly hit return.  As
I'm using gnucash remotely over X things are a little slow, and that
slowness enabled me to do some things that I think triggered the
crash: I saw the gui button to "Open" the file I had typed and assumed
my hitting return just accepted the name and did not start the open,
so I went to click the open button.  As or just before I clicked it I
saw gnucash doing some window open/close activity (it was already hard
at work opening the file), but I couldn't stop my mouse click.  And
then the gnucash windows went away.  The command line said there was a
segmentation fault, and I got a core file.

If it helps, gdb on the core file said:

   Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
   Core was generated by `gnucash gc/personal.gnucash'.
   #0  0x00007f95e1f3de20 in g_hash_table_lookup ()
      from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0

I looked in the directory with my gnucash file, and as expected I saw
lock files for the SECOND gnucash file that I was trying to open, as
well as two small log files dated after the gnucash file itself.  One
of those was zero length, and one had just headers and was 170 bytes
long.

I moved the lock file out of the way, and I also moved those log
files too.  gnucash opened it up fine, but all my tabs were gone
other than account.  I opened up the other tabs, and things seem fine
now.

A few questions:

1. Why did my tabs go away (and only for SECOND... first was fine)?
   Is that a sign that some other file might be corrupted and need
   some help?  Or if things seem to be working correctly, I'm all set?

1. Is it correct for me to move the final log file out of the way when
   it is dated after the last gnucash file, yet does not have anything
   I want?  In this case the log files were clearly pretty empty, but
   I think I've often seen them with a bunch of "balance" type entries
   even when I haven't added new transactions (maybe just from opening
   gnucash and perhaps "since last run" finding something to show me?)

   On the rare occasion that I need to move lock file I tend to also
   move the log file if timestamped after the gnucash file to avoid
   confusion: if the last saved .gnucash is my new restart/checkpoint,
   any logging after that seems superfluous and possibly confusing
   when the next log file shows up?  But if log files only get used if
   you do a reply on them to recover lost data, maybe there is no
   point to cleaning up like that?

3. Looking at my directory, I noticed that FIRST has a really huge log
   file dated around the time I crashed things.  It has the handful of
   transactions I added today (which were not lost as I had saved just
   before the crash), but clearly has much more: it has 29,450 lines!
   I grepped for "===== START" and see that 6426 times.  In contrast,
   the gnucash file for FIRST has 90k lines and 1536 occurrences of
   "trn:desc".  That all seems odd.  But again, if my gnucash file
   seems fine and has every transaction up to my save, is there any
   reason to care?

Thanks.

--gary