Ver 2.6.3 no split entry

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Jul 10 09:22:55 EDT 2014

>One other thing to try would be to use Tools:General Ledger and enter
>the transaction from there.  It will not disappear from there unless it
>actually is deleted.
>
>Elaborating further yet on what Michael said, what I have done when I
>want use a 'holding' account to track delays in payments or receipts, I
>use an account that is of another type such as Bank or Credit Card
>different from the Accounts Payable or Receivable account types to avoid
>the business features.
>
>David C

I would first try to understand why entering transaction normally wasn't
working. I think the problem here is misunderstanding something about
how to enter a split transaction.

But the scenario I was describing, how there might be a logical need for
a "receivable" or a "payable" account outside of using the business
features was something else. Various sorts of business have their own
accepted customs and so for some it's "cash" (no customer or vendor
accounts, or rather, all immediately due). It is however possible that
such a business where customers and vendors are on a "cash" basis that
there is the odd customer or odd vendor with whom there is a special
relationship. And these accounts are likely to have special conditions
not well served by the built in features in any case.

I can think of another scenario where neither the built in features nor
manual receivable/payable processing would be suitable. Is any gnucash
user out there using the software to do accounting for a business where
the custom is "approval" sales? If so, how are you keeping track of what
is out there "on approval"? << for example, a business dealing in
"collectibles" might do some "approval" sales >>

Michael