Ver 2.6.3 no split entry

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:53:11 EDT 2014

On 7/9/2014 3:11 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>> If you are not using invoicing then you should most definitely NOT be
>> using the A/R account type.  Just use a regular Asset account type.
>>

> I'm going to try to clarify what Derrick just said (in case there is
> confusion)
>
> There are accounts that are LOGICALLY of (accounting type) "Accounts
> Receivable" and there is within gnucash (gnucash type) "Accounts
> Receivable". The latter should ONLY be used within the gnucash
> "business features". If you are not using the business features you
> could  have manual processing of receivables using suitably named
> accounts in the Asset part of the tree.
>
> The sort of thing that would make sense if the entity for which the
> books were being kept had no use for the business features in general
> but SOMETIMES had the odd receivable or payable (and that possibly
> with non-standard conditions).
>
> Michael

Scott,

You have created a test file to experiment with, right?

If GnuCash worked in the past, you probably already have some
transactions in your file similar to the new ones you want to enter.
What happens if you duplicate one of those and then edit it? Is this
problem only with transactions involving multiple currencies, or is it
more general?

One other thing to try would be to use Tools:General Ledger and enter
the transaction from there.  It will not disappear from there unless it
actually is deleted.

Elaborating further yet on what Michael said, what I have done when I
want use a 'holding' account to track delays in payments or receipts, I
use an account that is of another type such as Bank or Credit Card
different from the Accounts Payable or Receivable account types to avoid
the business features.

David C