Mac Keyboard Shortcuts

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sun Jul 13 13:24:05 EDT 2014

Hi All,
  I'm somewhat new to GnuCash and this is my first question, so please excuse any faux pas. I have searched the Internet for answers to my question without luck. I tried to search this list's archives, but the search URL (https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user) seems to be broken.

  So, my question is about the keyboard shortcut normally used to hide an application under Mac OS X: Command-H. When I press this key combination with GnuCash as the front-most application, GnuCash remains visible and I'm presented with the Help Contents in Safari (my default browser). This is the same behavior as I get when pressing F1 in GnuCash. Looking in the menus, I can see that F1 is suggested as the keyboard shortcut for Help->Help Contents and Command-H is suggested as the shortcut for GnuCash->Hide GnuCash. Selecting Hide GnuCash from the GnuCash menu hides the program.

  I have tried using the standard Mac OS X shortcut-editing method (System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts) for this and other menu items without success. The hint shows up in the menu, but pressing the suggested keys does not fire the action.

  I have also examined ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/accelerator-map. That mapping appears to offer only a subset of the possible commands and Hide GnuCash is not one of them. It did include an action that appeared to be for the Help Contents with F1 assigned to it, but it was commented out with a leading semicolon. Unfortunately, removing the semicolon did not change the behavior in question.

  I'm running GnuCash 2.6.3 under Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on a 2008 17" MacBook Pro with 6 GB of RAM and about 20 GB of free space on the hard drive.

  Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Has anyone figured out why this is happening or how to make the correct behavior happen?

Thanks,
John