Help needed with changing scheduled transactions end dates please.

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 08:03:02 EDT 2014

Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:26:10 <53C60CF2.3020709 at airgeadstudio.net> Christina
Martin <christina at airgeadstudio.net>

>I've been using GnuCash for a number of years and am very happy with
>it, both for personal use and also my business accounts.  In the past I
>have kept a separate set of accounts for each financial year but as I
>know that isn't ideal, this year I decided to keep going and just use
>the accounting period date filter to pull out what I needed.

Financial transactions are real and continuous.  The varying national
stop and start dates for recording purposes are necessary but artificial
bits if you think about it.

>That led me to a problem with my scheduled transactions.  In Australia,
>we use the 1 July to 30 June financial year, so I had all of my
>transactions set to end at the end of July (to give me time to get the
>new file set up and operational while keeping an eye on the finances).

Ending and starting isn't the GnuCash way.  Run your accounts in a real
life, continuous way and *report* on them as required by relevant
authorities.

> I was using an older version of GnuCash (v2.4.something) but although
>I could change the end date from a set date to "Forever", clicking on
>"OK" did not actually save that change (even though the file was
>registering that something was different and it needed to be saved
>again).  When I reopened the scheduled transaction, it was still set to
>the original date. Strangely, if I change to another date, further in
>the future, it saves correctly.

I'm a bit confused by what you say but can say this, GnuCash won't
create a transaction if it thinks it has already created it.

[snip]

>The only thing I can think of to do is to either recreate all my
>scheduled transactions manually, or by creating them from existing
>register entries, since I can't find a way of copying them.

Or do it the sensible way and use an ongoing file and *report* on the
boundary dates.

>  I've tried changing permissions on the files, but they keep
>reverting, so I don't know if it's a permissions problem or not.  Even
>the master file that I keep that has all the scheduled transactions and
>accounts already set up (but no register entries) won't let me make
>these changes.

See above re scheduled transactions already created.

>Nothing in the documentation is helping me.  I've tried searching the
>archives, but I cannot find anything specifically about this. Has
>anyone else experienced anything like this?  Is this likely to be a
>setting that I need to change?  Can anyone point me in the direction of
>fixing this?

Look for stuff like closing accounts, close book, etc and then decide if
you really, really want to do it.  My advice is don't do it, your
accounts are a live thing, pull reports as and when.

Wm