making a payment to an invoice from Accounts Receivable

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jul 17 07:51:37 EDT 2014

On Thu 17 July 14 11:20:26 Jason Stewart wrote:
> Ah... yes... I did not know about that function... Thanks!
>
> That brings up another question. And it is not GnuCash specific but perhaps
> more of a general accounting question.
>
> I am organizing an event and collecting accomodation money for the event
> and I have used GnuCash to generate all my invoices. None of that money
> will go to me but instead I will pay all of it to the venue. How do I
> account for this? In GnuCash when I made the invoices GnuCash wanted an
> income account to register the payments into. So now when I process a
> payment it shows up as income - but it isn't. I attempted to make the
> "income" account Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable but it was not
> possible to select either of those - I guess the software is restricting
> the choice based on the 'type' of account.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks! jas...

Hi Jas,

If all you are doing in this particular GC file is tracking accommodation
costs, I really don't think it matters much.  record the  accommodation as an
expense, then you'll find that income = expense = 0.

If you are tracking other things too, then a specific income sub-account, such
as income:pre-paid_accommodation will work too.    When you pay the venue,
recorde it as a "negative income" in the sub-account, and you should end up
with 0 income, eventually...

HTH,
Maf.