OFX import directed to wrong account

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 09:48:19 EDT 2014

On 7/19/2014 1:52 AM, Tony Bazeley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I've been using gnucash for almost 12 months my skills are
> pretty basic.
> I've come across a problem - an OFX import has  decided that it
> prefers another account to the one I wish.
>
> From my reading, I understand that at some stage I've inadvertently
> associated that particular OFX import with an undesired account.
> I believe the OFX-account relationship is set in an XML file with no
> direct user interface.
>
> I'd like to correct this mistake so that OFX file A is directed into
> account A rather than account B, and have had a couple of thoughts:
>
> * Finding the XML file and editing it directly
>
> * The following sequence:
>     exporting the contents of account B,
>     deleting account B,
>     importing OFX file A into account A (I hope) and then
>     recreating account B
>
> My web research to date hasn't provided any answers and I'd very much
> appreciate any advice on how to proceed
>
> TIA
> Tony

Back in 2009 Derek Atkins made this suggestion:

Derek Atkins wrote:
>/ Another option is to create a fake OFX file with a bogus account ID,
/>/ assign that to the account you want to change from, then load the
/>/ real OFX and then select thecorrect account..  However you will have
/>/ old transactions in the wrong place.
/>/
/>/ -derek

/

I think that will work, but try it first on a test file.  I am not sure
what old transactions in the wrong place means, unless he was expecting
that there would be some previous errors left over to clean up.

David C