HST remittance formula

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 23 09:18:12 EDT 2014

>Actually, there is only one layer of tax for accounting purposes. No ‘tax on tax’ situation’. As Derek Atkins pointed out in another post, it would be quite doable if something like balance-as-of-date() were accessible from scheme.

The point the developers are trying to make is that they cannot possibly
provide built in capability for the peculiarities of the taxing system
of every jurisdiction on the planet. And just because Ontario doesn't
involve a "tax on tax" situation you shouldn't assume that is true in
other jurisdictions. I assure you, in at least some of the states in the
US, if an item is bought that is subject to Federal excise taxes (tires,
for example) then it is on the amount "tires + federal excise tax" that
the state sales tax is computed.

That you see some commercial accounting packages offering facilities
like this might blind you to the reality that they are SELECTIVELY
offered according to market. In other words, a Canadian company might
offer the facility to handle the Ontario and Quebec rules but not the
rules for NB, NS, PEI, etc. just like a US vendor of such software might
offer facility to handle NY and CA rules and perhaps those of a few of
the other large states (but no Canadian province).

The point is that a free software project like this can't play favorites
like that. Can't base a decision on "we have enough paying customers to
justify coding the THEIR particular situation and our other customers
form small jurisdiction get screwed because won't pay us to do theirs".

Michael