coming from Quicken Cashbook

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Mon Jul 28 13:50:23 EDT 2014

 I also am in the process of moving 20 years worth of data from Quicken to GnuCash. While opening the application has been slow, it is no slower than opening the PPC Quicken on an Intel Mac under Snow Leopard. I have not run many reports yet, but the rest of the process seems to be reasonably responsive.

 However, I have long recognized that it would be nice to be able to "close" the books periodically and have searched in vain for the procedure. Could you point me in the direction of a more detailed explanation? Ideally, I would like to close the books retroactively because I always need frequent access to data from the last year or so. Would this procedure allow me to close the books as of, say, 2010? That would allow me to keep the most recent information handy while improving reporting performance.

Thanks,
John