Renumbering customers and invoices

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Jul 28 20:45:17 EDT 2014

Hi,

You'll be fine.  Those IDs are 100% for human consumption.  GnuCash
doesn't use them for anything, except for the "Num" in posted
transactions, so your existing posted invoices will appear wrong in the
A/R register, but it's just a cosmetic issue.  Internally all references
are via GUID.

-derek

On Mon, July 28, 2014 8:31 pm, Buddha Buck wrote:
> I have a bunch of customers in my GnuCash file, all of which have been
> auto-numbered by GnuCash when I created them. I also have a bunch of
> invoices on those customers, also auto-numbered. These invoices represent
> ongoing, monthly payments, and I do not generally send copies of these
> invoices to the customers unless they ask (they don't).
>
> Because it's always nicer to automate things which can be automated, I am
> currently working on auto-generating a CSV file for importing the invoices
> on a regular basis. As such, I would like to generate invoice IDs for
> these
> monthly invoices, of the form CID-YYMM, with CID being an alphanumeric
> customer code, and YYMM being the year and month (so a typical invoice
> would be BMB-1407, for instance, and in 2.5 years someone will get
> NCC-1701).
>
> I have verified that I can create new customers and new invoices within
> GnuCash wih the requisite format. I have verified that I can change the
> customer ID number and the invoice number (on unposted invoices).
>
> It appears to work without breaking things. But I I'd like a sanity check.
>
> Is there likely to be any problem from renumbering existing customers
> and/or invoices? Is there anything relying on those IDs that would break
> if
> they were changed?
>
> If I expected my customers to have copies of the invoices and keep those
> in
> their records, changing the invoice numbers would be dubious at best, but
> that's not the case here.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745