need help with stock investment reporting

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 10:49:23 EDT 2014

Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:44:40
<1406641480.81669.YahooMailNeo at web160104.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>  Steve
Nospam <stevenospam2000 at yahoo.com>

>I have just setup my investments and all is well except that I have the
>same stock in two separate brokerage accounts and that stock is
>displayed twice in the Investment Portfolio and Advanced Portfolio
>reports.

gnc leans towards getting the sums right and presumes people write
reports as needed, but you knew that, right?

>  I would prefer that the stock is displayed only once with an average
>cost and current value for all of the lots combined.

But gnc can't know that unless you tell it.

>  The account structure is:
>assets:investments:alpha brokerage:stocks:IBM
>assets:investments:beta brokerage:stocks:IBM
>
>Because I want to know the total assets at each brokerage, I put the
>stock under its respective brokerage.  In the report I just want to
>know how IBM is  performing overall.

I question your logic (in a nice way, of course).

You have two separate holdings of IBM stock, gnc reflects that.

gnc doesn't impose an account structure so, for example

assets:investments:stocks:IBM:alpha brokerage
assets:investments:stocks:IBM:beta brokerage

will work fine if you prefer.

Example: stock held in a pension fund (long term) may not be tradable in
the same way as stock held for overnight trading.  I'd expect those
holdings to be kept separate as you have them at present.

Only you can decide what is the right view of your holdings.

--
Wm...