deleting file names

Kim Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 30 15:40:03 EDT 2014

If you search the forum, you will find the following advice from Geert:

The list of recently used files is stored in gconf, which is a database to
store settings, part of the Gnome desktop. John points at the proper file
that contains the entries, but simply removing that file is not how it
should be cleaned on linux. This may work on Windows and OS X because gconfd
is generally not running on those systems, unless GnuCash is started.

On linux gconfd is running as soon as you log into the system (a slight
simplification, but good enough for the issue at hand here).

If you remove that file while gconfd is running, gconfd will rewrite it when
it closes, because the actual information is kept in memory.

Instead, to clean all the recently used file entries, issue this command
from the command line:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/gnucash/history

Well, thanks Geert.  I run a Windows GnuCash environment, and the above
advice has also been useful in that context too.  Having said that, after
following the instructions once, life is too short to do this twice:)  I
have decided that a few file names that are no longer relevant in my GnuCash
file list is not my most important problem

Kind regards,

Kim