gnucash Setup multiple programs

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jun 4 09:00:17 EDT 2014

davezub wrote:

>I'm currently evaluating SMB accounting programs for our recreation council.
>Gnucash looks very impressive, but i'm somewhat accounting challenged........................................... Each program
>requires a specific budget report for its own program. We have only one
>checking account where all the funds reside. Just struggling with how to set
>this up.

Two issues here, the reporting and the fact that you will not have
separate bank accounts. These are closely related because if you were
using separate bank accounts the neatest way would be to have subsidiary
BOOKS for each activity (and then a set of master books for the entire
organization).

a) The bank account ---- especially if you are not using "on line
banking features" but are manually entering check transactions you could
partition the bank account having child accounts for each activity into
which you transfer the budgeted amount from the parent. You just would
need to be careful when entering checks written to put these
transactions into the correct child.

b) Not specific to gnucash, but a chart of accounts allows just one
heiracrchical structure. But that will not prevent you from preparing
reports for each of the activities. You will have to choose whether you
will prefer to do this from within gnucash (have separate reports
selecting just the pertinent accounts for each) or do as most
accountants would, a single report from gnucash, exported, and then you
create each report using your favorite editor. That's what I do.

Michael D Novack, FLMI