simple inventory transactions

CCAAT ccaat at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 16:50:03 EDT 2014

Hello,

I understand that gnucash does not have inventory systems. However, we
occasionally sell (to sales tax exempts) agencies a few items, maybe
once a years.  So a few years back when the gnucash was setup for this
small business, we created an account and called it inventory. When we
have a PO from a company to purchase something from us, we go out an buy
it. Inventory is never kept, only it exist in a temporary mode.

There was probably a better way to do it. So we purchased (item A) 3
times and coded the credit card transaction to the inventory account.
The three times we sold Item A and received a check payment it was
linked in the check book to Revenue (income) exempted sales....

But the inventory shows up like we still have it in possession. So my
ideas how to best (simply) fix this is to code the checkbook transaction
as a split and also link it to the inventory account. This should reduce
the 3 "Item A" entries to a zero balance, as we sold the "item A"
with approximately 100 % mark up.

Will this work? is there a better way to code this in gnucash. The books
are find right now, I just need a way to reduce the inventory entries to
ZERO so to reflect all we purchased can coded to inventory, is now been
sold?

Ideas and educational explanations are most welcome. I'm still on 2.4.11
on linux.

James