Show generation date on report

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jun 28 10:03:13 EDT 2014

On Jun 28, 2014, at 2:34 AM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression (mistaken or real) that the documentation
> process was undergoing a transition in the mechanics of how it was
> implemented that pretty much stopped user help with new contributions.
> This combined with some dramatic changes that were supposed to happen
> with the transition to release 2.6 that so far has been also put on hold
> (the new register interface), I have been waiting for the developers to
> give us users the go-ahead to resume our contributions.

Not quite, though we did discuss the documentation at length on the dev-list last November. For better or worse Docbook seems to be the best format for generating all of the various formats that we want. What blocks non-technical users from contributing is that DocBook is an XML format that's difficult to edit. The least user-unfriendly way we could find to generate it was a DocBook editor for which an obsolete free-as-in-beer version was available from a secondary site. It has the unfortunate practice of reformatting the whole document and littering it with "made by whatever-it's-name-it" comment tags, so a bit of git magic is needed to select just the part that you changed for a patch.

By "dramatic change" I guess you mean the register-2 effort. That was intended to be largely invisible to users; the rationale for it was to get rid of an obsolete dependency. Unfortunately we weren't able to get it to be acceptably reliable in time for the release and we had to pull it, but that shouldn't have had any effect on documentation contributions except for documenting the new features that it enabled.

Regards,
John Ralls