"Simple" Backups & Restores.

Latin Loser expat_brit at terra.com.co
Sat Jun 28 13:16:18 EDT 2014

Greetings from the tropics!

Now, while trying to migrate some GNU Cash accounts from an old Windows
Vista laptop to a newer Windows 7 laptop, I've hit several snags. Historic,
experience says this should have been an easy task? Not so! It's mired in
'gotchas' for the unwary! Helpfully, the GNU Cash main menu has an option to
'Export' the accounts to another format, however options are limited to
either XML or one of three relational database formats. Surely, it would be
simple to allow export to formats such as .XLS TXT or CSV to give users some
flexibility? So, having created an XML which I called /export/ so as to keep
things simple, I noted that GNU Cash had created the file in a hidden
directory called /User\Username\AppData/ which may make sense to the
/coders/ amongst us, but it makes no sense to me! So, how is a 'User'
supposed to copy this file onto removable media and restore it onto another
computer?

Looking around the forum, I see there are several threads about backup, but
what I couldn't find were any simple /'Step-by-Step'/ instructions on how to
backup the accounts to removable media and to restore them onto a newly
installed version of GNU Cash. Does anyone have anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Regards,

Latin Loser.