Mac Application nits

Paul McNett paul at mcnettware.com
Sat Mar 1 12:13:02 EST 2014

Hi,

There are a few things bugging me about Gnucash on Mac which perhaps I'm
just not aware of how to control for myself. I've reviewed:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Keyboard_Shortcuts

which did help but I still have the following observations:

1) Closing the main window quits the entire application, which isn't in
line with what Mac users expect. This is particularly annoying when I'm
reconciling, hit <enter> to modify a transaction, and then (because
Cmd+~ doesn't work to switch windows) I hit Cmd+w to close the main
window to get back to reconcile, but the entire app is now gone.

2) How to move to a different page tab (say, to get to the Accounts page
from a specific account register) using the keyboard? Ok, I see that
pressing fn+ctrl+alt+downarrow or fn+ctrl+alt+uparrow will do this, but
it seems weird to be using up/down arrows to go left and right. Plus,
I'd like a quick way to get to the Accounts page (Page 0) no matter how
many dozens of account registers and reports I have open.

3) How to move back and forth between the reconcile window and the main
window using the keyboard? Moving to the register/main window from
reconcile is easy (enter on the transaction to edit), but I don't know
how to move back without having to reach for the mouse, and either
choose from the Window menu or move the register window out of the way
to click on the reconcile window. Pretty sure on Linux this would be a
simple Alt+Tab.

I may simply decide to run Gnucash on my Linux machine instead, but if
there are already workarounds/answers to the above issues I'd love to
know them!

Thanks
Paul