Reliability of Gnu Cash software

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Mar 6 08:21:59 EST 2014

>gnu cash works great. it does what it's supposed to do. i do have a few things i wish were better (like formatting reports -- i'm a designer so how things look and how they layout really matters to me). and i hate that reports don't have page breaks. but on the nuts+bolts it does it all.
>
>i'm not an accountant but i like knowing how things work and where my money is so the program suits me fine.

I have been using gnucash to keep the books for non-profits since 2006.

While by no means an accountant, I was already familiar with double
entry bookkeeping  the old fashioned way (pen and ink on paper) and so
appreciate an "autoposting" system that eliminates the most common
errors of the old way.

I do NOT format the reports within gnucash. In the beginning I asked our
accountants "should I write custom reports to do that?" (I made my
living designing financial system software) but was told "Don't bother.
Just export the raw reports and we will use our favorite editing program
to do that because then have the full power of an editor available." So
I don't miss gnucash not having that facility at all. Would be
"reinventing the wheel" to have gnucash incorporate an editor with full
capabilities.

Michael D Novack, FLMI