How to register Japanese VAT

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Tue Mar 11 04:44:59 EDT 2014

On 11/03/14 00:47, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>>> Thank you, for your information.
>>> "AUTOMATICALLY" means that, for example,  when I enter an expense
>>> record which is "take a taxi spend 630 JP YEN", Gnucash should
>>> automatically make two records which are  "take a taxi 600 YEN" and
>>> "payed VAT 30 YEN". Does Gnucash have this function ?
>>> I know it can do if I create a vendor record for a taxi and make a
>>> bill for the taxi. What I need is every expense entry makes VAT
>>> record automatically, even though it doesn't have a bill record.
>>> Currently I use "SPLIT" function and enter two records, expense detail
>>> and VAT, every time. It's  really annoying.
>>>

> I am going to put this another way. Let me start by pointing out that
> I do NOT know how Japanese VAT works for personal expenses. Maybe it
> is really simple, that it applied to EVERYTHING you might spend money
> on and at the same rate and with simple (normal) rounding rules.
>
> So I will instead discuss this in terms of "sales tax" which many of
> our states have (including the one where I live). And for which the
> rules are:
>
> 1) Does NOT apply to everything purchased. Some things are exempt and
> even then by complex rules. For example (in this state) inexpensive
> clothing is not taxed, only items above a certain price, and what
> counts as clothing vs "accessories" not completely obvious.
>
> 2) The rate is NOT the same for everything. For example, food bought
> in a restaurant isn't taxed at the same rate as food bought in the
> food store. But again, what counts as "food" has complxx rules. That
> loaf of bread isn't taxed but that bottle of soda is. So on your
> receipt form the food store you generally have a "taxable items" amount.
>
> 3) The amount isn't a simple multiply by percentage and round off by
> the rules of ordinary arithmetic. The state gets any fraction of a
> penny. That means the amount on the bill might depend on whether all
> taxable items figured together or separately. So if you walk into the
> store and buy X (a taxable item) and then walk back in to get Y (also
> taxable) might well be a different amount of tax than if you came up
> to the counter with X and Y together. BTW, whether tax is figured on
> each item separately or on the aggregate of taxable items purchased
> together could give different results even in jurisdictions where it
> IS a simple "multiply and round off by the rules of arithmetic" <<
> because rounded(A) + rounded B does not necessarily equal rounded (A + B)
>
> You expect automatic calculation for THAT?
>
> This is like anything else, you enter the transaction. A split
> transaction if a taxed item and you are tracking that, NOT considering
> it as part of the expense of the goods bough) << might do that here in
> a state that does not have a state income tax and you are itemizing on
> your Federal return and claiming a deduction for state sales tax  and
> so need to document --- you can't do both state sales tax and state
> [...]

Entering everything manually or through the invoicing system doesn't cut
it for any volume of transactions above the trivial.

I have had a python script written that adds the Australian GST to every
transaction in a .qif file, I imagine it can be easily changed to
different fixed rates. I download the months transactions, run the
renamer over it and import it using the qif import function.

I could post it here or link to it if anyone is interested..  it saves
me hours and hours of manually putting in invoices every month.

Cheers

Lawrence