How can I bulk duplicate tranactions

Benjamin Bergman ben at benbergman.ca
Thu Mar 13 00:09:55 EDT 2014

I have been tasked with creating a set of books for the previous
calendar year for my organization. The majority of our transactions
are the collection of member dues into our "Income:Member Dues"
account. This happens every month and we have about 60 members, so
that would be over 700 transactions to create by hand.

What I thought I could do is export the transactions for one member's
account into a CSV (this part seems to work well enough), open it in a
text editor and do a search-and-replace for the member name, then
import the set of transactions for the new user. Unfortunately, I
could not seem to get gnucash to import its own transaction CSV file.
It seems to want a transaction on each line, not broken into splits.
dropping the split info means I need to reassign the transactions to
the proper account, so I might as well just create each transaction
manually.

So, is there a better way to create a bunch of identical transactions,
one per month for the previous year, from a number of different
accounts all into one income account?

Thanks in advance.