How can I bulk duplicate tranactions

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Thu Mar 13 01:02:50 EDT 2014

On 13/03/14 14:09, Benjamin Bergman wrote:
> I have been tasked with creating a set of books for the previous
> calendar year for my organization. The majority of our transactions
> are the collection of member dues into our "Income:Member Dues"
> account. This happens every month and we have about 60 members, so
> that would be over 700 transactions to create by hand.
>
> What I thought I could do is export the transactions for one member's
> account into a CSV (this part seems to work well enough), open it in a
> text editor and do a search-and-replace for the member name, then
> import the set of transactions for the new user. Unfortunately, I
> could not seem to get gnucash to import its own transaction CSV file.
> It seems to want a transaction on each line, not broken into splits.
> dropping the split info means I need to reassign the transactions to
> the proper account, so I might as well just create each transaction
> manually.
>
> So, is there a better way to create a bunch of identical transactions,
> one per month for the previous year, from a number of different
> accounts all into one income account?

Is Gnucash the right tool to be keeping track of your membership dues?

If it was me, and if I understand it correctly to be historical data I
would do exactly one transaction.

Revenue:Membership Dues  ---     Yearly Fees All Members     $xxx

Assets:Bank Account  ---  Yearly fees all Members $xxx

Done.

I used to be crazy about stuff like this until I realised time playing
with my kids is more important than book entries no ones looks at. YPMV

Cheers

Lawrence