enhancement requests

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Mar 14 14:28:56 EDT 2014

On Friday 14 March 2014 13:58:45 Robert Locke wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 11:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "dave at peregrinedesign" <dave at peregrinedesign.com> writes:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your development of Gnucash. I have recently
> > > switched
> > > from Quickbooks.
> > >
> > > There are several requests I have, but the most prominent in my
> > > mind
> > > would be the ability to combine multiple customer payments into
> > > one
> > > bank deposit. It is very inconvenient to reconcile and perform
> > > other
> > > bookkeeping tasks when the bank statement shows one combined
> > > deposit
> > > but Gnucash has to show each one separately.
> > >
> > > I have seen this as a request for Gnucash elsewhere. The method is
> > > assign payments received to a holding deposit account then run the
> > > deposit combining all payments.
> >
> > This is the best way to do it.
>
> I'll echo Derek's suggestion here.
>
> When I switched from Quickbooks to Gnucash back in 2003/4, one of the
> first things I implemented was an "Undeposited Funds" Asset account,
> which, if I recall correctly, matched how it was done in Quickbooks.
> Checks/Payments would always go to the Undeposited Funds account.
> Deposits would transfer from Undeposited Funds to the Checking
> Account.
>
> My big challenge back then was figuring out how to deal with
> application of payments to invoices. In Quickbooks I was able to
> apply a payment to a particular invoice. Gnucash was treating each of
> my customer's as having a running balance with payments applied to
> the total. I got around it by "reconciling/clearing" the
> invoices/payments. I could then just run a report of "unreconciled"
> invoices to track what a customer might still owe me.

It has always been possible to make a payment for one specific invoice, even in 2.4. 2.6
extends on this to make it possible to make one payment for several invoices at once and you
get to choose which. Or you can take an ordinary transaction and assign it as a payment to one
or more invoices. This helps with matching imported transactions with open invoices. Two more
instruments in addition to the undeposited funds account principle...

Geert